I recently read about 15 resumes for tester positions on my team. None of them told us anything about how well the candidate can test.
Here is what I saw:
- All candidates list a ton of ”technologies” they are familiar with (e.g., .Net, Unix, SQL, XML, MS Office)
- They also list a bunch of off-the-shelf testing tools (e.g., TestDirector, LoadRunner, QuickTest Pro, SilkTest, BugZilla)
- All candidates string together a bunch of test buzz words…something like, “I know white box testing, gray box testing, black box testing, stress testing, load testing, functional testing, integration testing, sanity testing, smoke testing, regression testing, manual testing, automated testing, user acceptance testing, etc.”
- Some candidates will say something like “I wrote a 50-page test plan”, or “I’m responsible for testing an enterprise application used by 1000 users”
- My approach to testing is as follows…
- See my software testing blog for my opinions on how to test.
- My favorite testing books and blogs are…
- I enjoy testing because…
What are your favorite tester interview questions?
Labels: software testing career