We encountered the following fixed bug today. Call it Bug100.
“The word ‘Unknown’ is spelled incorrectly in the dialog the user sees when sending an error report.”
Bug100 was spun off the larger issue (i.e., why the error was thrown). Bug100 was logged by a BA after noticing the spelling error, and easily fixed by a developer.
Unfortunately, the developer could not determine an easy way to trigger the error message described by Bug100. After a few failed attempts by the tester, the tester and I had a brief discussion. We decided to rubber stamp Bug100 and spend our time elsewhere. “Rubber stamp” is the expression we use to describe situations where the tester does not really do any testing, but they still move the bug report to the “Tested” status so its fix can proceed to production. We make a note on the bug report that says nothing was tested.
Would you have bothered to test this bug fix? Use the voting buttons below.

Would you bother testing this fix?

5 comments:

  1. Richard Siemens said...

    If I couldn't reproduce the "Larger Issue", I would mark it as resolved after I took a look at the source code to see if the spelling mistake was corrected.

    And perhaps I would write a unit test for for the issue if that was possible (or encourage the developer to write the test, depending on the ownership of unit tests on the project).

  2. Anonymous said...

    Still you should automate to avoid future errors.
    Just make sure the string is in a resource and write automated tests that spellcheck all string resources.

  3. Anonymous said...

    A key mistake I have noticed in a few companies is that a user reports a fault found within the target environment, while developers try to recreate the in the development environment. Not the same. I would certainly confirm the spelling mistake was corrected, but annotate the report the Bug 100 could not be recreated. Also request the user provide more information.

  4. JenB said...

    Like Richard, I would want to see the fixed message in the source code before I verified this as fixed.

    At the end of the day, the retest does not involve actually triggering the error, but simply verifying the spelling of the dialog.

  5. Rabby said...

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A key mistake I have noticed in a few companies is that a user reports a fault found within the target environment, while developers try to recreate the in the development environment. Not the same. I would certainly confirm the spelling mistake was corrected, but annotate the report the Bug 100 could not be recreated. Also request the user provide more information.

    February 18, 2011 1:42 PM


    I do this (test in development environment to check if we just missed the bug in the first place)



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.