I can’t imagine testing without multiple computers at my disposal. You may want to hold on to your old, out of warranty computers if given the choice. Five quick reasons:
- When Computer#1 hits an impediment such as an unrecoverable error, Computer#2 can start testing immediately as Computer#1 reboots.
- I can use both computers to simulate interesting multi-user tests. Example: what if two users attempt to acquire locks at roughly the same time.
- I can kick off timely processes, staggered on 3 separate boxes, so as not to sit idle waiting.
- Different OS’s, browser versions, frameworks, and other software running in the background can be informally tested to narrow down variables.
- Computer#1 can support the administrative work of testing (e.g., documenting tests, bugs, emailing), while Computer#2 can stay clean and focus on operating the product under test.